Last updated on May 17th, 2021 at 06:54 am
It’s a tale as old as time – men don’t like going to the doctor. Whether out of sheer laziness, business, fear of vulnerability, or fear of hearing an unwelcome outcome, too many ignore symptoms and convince themselves their health problems will just go away on their own…
Fortunately, many common health conditions that men face don’t require an in-person physical exam any more. Embarrassing or taboo ailments like erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation, hair loss and more can be treated virtually by a medical professional through video consult, or even just back and forth over email.
For men that avoid the doctor like the plague (or COVID-19), modern telemedicine offers an ideal experience. We reviewed Numan, one of the most popular telemedicine platforms for men in the UK to see what kind of meds it offers, how much they cost, and how discreetly they are delivered.
We’ll look at Numan in-depth and help you determine if it’s right for you. We’ve reviewed similar platforms for men in the past including Hims, and will help you understand how they compare as well.
What is Numan.com?
In a nutshell, Numan is a digital healthcare platform that provides treatments to men in the UK. Some of these conditions, like erectile dysfunction, affect roughly two-thirds of the male population at any one time (!) It’s often linked to mental health and lifestyle factors like anxiety, stress, alcohol, and relationships, but for the most part, it’s entirely treatable.
Despite this, many men don’t seek help, often because they are too embarrassed to talk to anyone about it, including their doctors. Numan spares men this embarrassment by offering them a way to get diagnosed and prescribed treatment online without in-person medical help.
It’s essential to keep in mind that all treatments offered by Numan are regulated by the Care Quality Commission and approved by the MHRA. Also, all deliveries are free, discreet, and usually arrive within 24 hours. So, it goes far beyond just looking for help online and offers men insanely convenient access to legit medical treatments.
With that in mind, let’s look at some of the conditions it treats.
What health conditions does Numan treat?
1. Erectile Dysfunction
Erectile dysfunction is the inability to get or maintain an erection. Typically, the causes of erectile dysfunction can be psychological or physical and usually results in a reduced blood flow to the penis.
Numan offers four different treatments for erectile dysfunction:
- Sildenafil. Sildenafil is a clinically proven treatment for erectile dysfunction and works by allowing more blood to flow into the penis. 78% of men have experienced improved erections after taking 50 mg of sildenafil.
- Tadalafil daily. This clinically proven daily tablet ensures a steady supply of tadalafil in the body, allowing men to enjoy spontaneous sex without needing to plan ahead.
- Tadalafil. Tadalafil is clinically proven to help erections and lasts for up to 36 hours.
- Viagra Connect. Viagra Connect is the first non-prescription medication in the UK to treat erectile dysfunction. It works by establishing reliable blood flow to the penis. As a result, 78% of men experienced improved erections after taking it.
2. Premature Ejaculation
Premature ejaculation happens when a man orgasms or “finishes” quicker than he or his partner would prefer. It’s often caused by psychological factors but can also be caused by things like prostate problems.
Numan offers three different treatments for premature ejaculation:
- Priligy. This tablet and is taken before having sex. It’s clinically proven to help men last longer in bed and give them more control over when they ejaculate.
- Delay Spray. This topical treatment treats premature ejaculation by working as a mild anaesthetic to reduce sensitivity without diminishing pleasure.
- Delay Wipes. This fast-acting solution reduces overstimulation and improves endurance without reducing pleasure.
3. Hair Loss
Male pattern hair loss is one of the most common types of hair loss in men. It is usually characterized by a receding hairline or balding on the crown accompanied by thinning hair at the temples and the sides of the scalp.
Numan offers four treatments for hair loss:
- Complete Hair Kit. This kit combines two very effective hair loss treatments, topical spray, and finasteride, both of which reduce and reverse hair loss at the crown and the hairline.
- Finasteride. This medication is the generic version of a medicine called Propecia. It has been clinically proven to be an effective treatment for male pattern baldness in 9 out of 10 men.
- Topical Spray. This sprayable solution contains the active ingredient Minoxidil that helps to slow and reverse hair loss caused by male pattern baldness. It makes hair thicker by increasing the diameter of the hair shaft and improves scalp coverage. It would be awesome if they ever release a topical finasteride spray as well.
- Regaine. Regaine contains 5% minoxidil which has been clinically proven to reduce hair loss in men with male pattern baldness.
4. Blood Testing
At-home blood tests are beneficial for providing a complete view of what’s happening inside the body. With this information, men can make the lifestyle choices and changes necessary to improve their health and well-being.
Numan offers three at-home blood tests:
- At-home Health MOT. This test is done twice a year and measures key health indicators like cholesterol levels, long-term health, and diabetes risks. Each blood test also comes with a follow-up call from a UK doctor who will provide insights into the results and personalized health advice.
- Erectile dysfunction test kit. This blood test tests for cholesterol, diabetes, and testosterone. It also comes with a follow-up call with a doctor to discuss the results and recommendations.
- At-home Health MOT (One-off). This blood test is the same as the biannual Health MOT but is only done once off. It also features a follow-up call from a doctor to discuss the results and recommendations.
When using supplements along with a healthy diet, it supports overall health. It gives the body the right amount of key nutrients to support overall health but can also be taken to optimize specific areas of health.
When it comes to supplements, Numan offers three options:
- Vitamin D Boost. This oral spray is used to maintain healthy vitamin D levels, and every spray delivers a fine, peppermint-flavoured mist containing 1000IU of vitamin D. It assists in supporting the immune system, bone health, and muscle function.
- Vitamin D Test Kit. This quick and effective blood test measures vitamin D levels. Seeing that about one in five people has deficient vitamin D levels in the UK, this is essential. Each test also comes with a free review from a UK clinician who can offer insight into the results and personalized health advice.
- Fertility support. This daily supplement contains 12 key nutrients to support male fertility. It is specially formulated to help maintain healthy sperm and normal reproduction.
6. Personalised Supplements
Taking supplements to the next level, Numan offers personalized supplements that are tailor-made for individual customers. Here, it’s necessary to complete a short online consultation about health and lifestyle. Numan will then create a personalized supplement with the essential nutrients to support overall health.
7. Smoking Cessation (i.e. fighting nicotine addiction)
Numan’s Quit Smoking Program combines three unique therapies into one to help smokers conquer their cravings and stop smoking within 12 weeks. During this 12-week program, they will receive a 12-week prescription for medication and daily cognitive behavioural therapy through email and texts to keep them on track.
In addition, they’ll be able to book a phone counselling session every week or order a Ripple vape to help them quit.
The program is separated into two different products:
- Varenicline Starter Pack. The program starts with the starter pack, which helps reduce cravings and withdrawal symptoms when quitting smoking.
- Varenicline Maintenance Pack. After the starter pack, customers can receive a prescription for the maintenance pack, which also lasts four weeks.
Asthma is an inflammatory condition that affects the lungs and makes it difficult to breathe. Common symptoms of this disease include coughing, wheezing, or a tight chest. Typical treatments include inhalers that help relieve breathlessness and prevent symptoms.
Numan offers three different asthma treatments:
- Asthma treatment plan. The personalized asthma treatment plan provides all the tools necessary for the complete control of asthma symptoms. It includes a Peak Flow Meter, inhaler, and ongoing clinical support.
- Peak Flow Meter. The Peak Flow Meter helps asthma sufferers monitor their asthma by measuring how fast they can breathe out. This, in turn, shows whether their airways are narrowed.
- Asthma Spacer. The asthma spacer is an attachment that acts as a chamber to hold the medication in place. This makes it easier to breathe in and delivers straight to where it’s needed.
9. Acid Reflux
Acid reflux or heartburn is a common ailment where acid rises from the stomach to the throat. This causes a burning sensation in the chest, bloating, or an unpleasant taste. Fortunately, it’s a very treatable condition with medicines that neutralize or slow acid production in the stomach.
Numan offers two acid reflux treatments:
- Acid reflux treatment plan. This ongoing personalized plan includes ongoing clinical support, lifestyle advice, and a tailored plan to manage symptoms.
- Antacids. This medication works by neutralizing acid in the stomach and creates a protective barrier at the top of the stomach to prevent or reflect symptoms.
How does getting prescription meds from Numan work?
The entire Numan treatment process starts by clicking “get started” at the top right and selecting a treatment you’d like to try.
You’ll then answer a series of health and lifestyle questions, and one of Numan’s clinicians will review it to make sure you’re a suitable candidate for the requested medication. If deemed a fit, you’ll be charged for your treatments only and provided with a repeat prescription as well.
In some cases, customers are sent refills, but you remain in control of your subscriptions at all times, able to cancel or pause as desired. Customers are also able to select the dosage and number of tablets they would like.
Keep in mind, though, that many of the conditions that Numan treats require ongoing treatment, commitment, and professional support. For this reason, it focuses on a customer-first model and offers ongoing advice from licensed healthcare professionals. These professionals also ensure that all treatment plans are safe and suitable for each individual patient.
Should there be any side effects — rare though they are for the drugs Numan prescribes — their doctors are available to help remedy.
Ultimately, Numan delivers an experience that removes a lot of the pain and friction associated with traditional healthcare. It’s a joyful experience, but what about affordability?
How much does Numan cost?
Because Numan offers longer-term healthcare plans with repeat prescriptions dispensed on-demand, they can discount the medication, which actually puts them at a competitive price point compared to other services.
When it comes to pharmaceutical pricing, there is plenty of variability among treatment plans, dosages, brand names, form factors, etc. making it hard to compare apples to apples. That said, Numan’s pricing is very reasonable:
|Tadalafil Daily||From £40|
|Viagra Connect||From £88|
|Delay Spray||From £18|
|Delay Wipes||From £15|
|Complete Hair Kit||From £38|
|Topical Minoxidil Spray||From £32|
|At-Home Health MOT||From £90|
|Erectile Dysfunction Test Kit||From £70|
|At-Home Health MOT (One-Off)||From £120|
|Personalised Supplement Spray||From £30|
|Vitamin D Boost||From £18|
|Vitamin D Test Kit||From £60|
|Fertility support||From £35|
|Varenicline Starter Pack (Quit Smoking Programme)||From £99|
|Varenicline Maintenance Pack (Quit Smoking Programme)||From £99|
|Asthma Treatment Plan||From £20|
|Peak Flow Meter||From £15|
|Asthma Spacer||From £15|
|Acid Reflux Treatment Plan||From £20|
Numan Reviews: What are customers saying?
Now that we’ve looked at Numan’s products in more detail and what they cost, let’s see what customers say about the platform. Overall, most of the reviews we found were positive.
This one praises the simple user experience.
Another emphasizes the fast delivery — 24 hours is insanely quick:
This customer points out that customer support is Numan’s number one priority. They had a minor problem that Numan’s team was able to sort out without any fuss.
The Verdict: Is Numan a legitimate mens healthcare provider?
So, is Numan worth it? Well, in simple terms, it offers widely testedd and used treatments to a number of very common problems affecting men. So, for those who avoid the doctor at all costs, this is a very effective, discreet, and efficient way of getting medical help without the embarrassment of speaking out loud about their issues.
Add to that that it offers top notch customer service and ongoing support, all at a reasonable price; A better question is: what’s not to like?
If you want to know more about Numan, the conditions it treats, or its services in general, check out their website and see if it’s right for you. If you’ve already tried Numan, we’d love to hear about your experience in the comments below!
Curious about other startups similar to Numan? We’ve reviewed a dozen or so other telemedicine platforms offering treatments for PE, ED, and hair loss as well. We’ve analyzed the cost of finasteride among them and come to some broad conclusions:
- Hims and Roman are the clear leaders for ED and PE meds in the US, while Keeps is the best for hair loss.
- OnMen.ca is the top online provider for both hair loss and ED treatments in Canada.
- Pilot is the most popular men’s health startup in Australia.
- GHC is the forerunner in India.