Anxiety and depression are currently the most common mental illnesses among Americans. While 40 million people in the United States suffer from anxiety disorders, sadly only 36.9% of them receive treatment.
Among the many innovative lifestyle adjustments that the global pandemic necessitated: a surge in teletherapy, or remote mental health counseling, arose to satisfy a growing need for prescription medications, therapy, and other physician recommended treatments.
This shift to virtual and online therapy is more than a small blessing for those who have been confined inside their homes indefinitely. Luckily, professional help is now just a video chat, text, or phone call away for anyone who has mobility challenges, resides in a rural area with fewer in-person providers, or just prefers the convenience of an at-home appointment over traditional office visits. Even now that things have opened back up, millions of Americans still appreciate how advantageous it is to get prescribed medications online.
Source: Ro Mind
In this article, we review Ro Mind, the new mental health platform from Roman through the healthcare technology company Ro. We know Roman as a reputable brand for men’s health issues like erectile dysfunction and hair loss. Is its new service, Ro Mind, a legit way to manage mental health? Let’s take a look.
How do I know if I have anxiety or depression?
Many people who suffer from anxiety or depression do not seek professional help or treatment. It is vital to understand that these issues are treatable and that there is nothing wrong with you if you have one or both. The statistics above show that you are not alone and anxiety and depression are more common than you think.
The stigma surrounding mental health has decreased in recent years, which is a wonderful thing. Many celebrities and athletes have come forward to discuss their mental health struggles and in general, mental health is becoming a more popular topic of discussion these days. However, it is still typical for people to be unwilling to disclose their troubles with others or to seek professional care for mental health issues. Some groups of people, notably men, have a more challenging time communicating about their mental health and feelings.
It’s helpful to keep in mind that mental health fluctuates throughout the course of a person’s life. People go through difficult times, highs and lows, healthy and unhealthy times. Our need for support can vary over time, just as our physical health requires increased care at times.
Fortunately, telehealth companies such as Ro Mind make it easier for more people to access mental health treatment without some of the usual restrictions. Their approach eliminates the need for in-person visits that may be uncomfortable, pricey and time-consuming (waiting rooms + appointment + eventual pharmacy visits can take some serious time commitment!). Instead, you can stay at home, have virtual consultations with professionals, and have your meds delivered discreetly to your door at a low cost.
Can anxiety and depression be treated?
The treatment methods for anxiety and depression can vary depending on factors like the type of professional you see, your particular case, and your personal preferences. Nonetheless, there are some standard treatments commonly used for these mental health disorders. These include:
- Prescription Medication: A physician or psychiatrist may prescribe medications for anxiety and/or depression. They may recommend antidepressants, which tend to take three to four weeks to go into effect fully, or benzodiazepines. The most commonly used type of antidepressants are serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs).
- Therapy: A psychologist or other qualified mental health professional can provide therapy to address anxiety and depression. There are even different types of therapy, including cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and behavioral therapy. Therapy can help a person work through situations that are causing anxiety or depression and how to manage their reactions.
- Natural Remedies: Mental health professionals may recommend using supportive techniques and making lifestyle changes with guided plans and support. Such techniques may include practicing mindfulness, performing regular exercise, following a healthier diet, getting more sleep, and having routines.
Ro Mind focuses on the prescription side of mental health treatment, but there are many telehealth platforms that can provide therapist support including Sesame. Depending on your interest, our review might be helpful!
Are there side effects to mental health treatments?
Before beginning treatment, be aware of potential side effects and consult with your healthcare professional about the benefits and drawbacks of your specific concern. Anxiety and depression medications can have various side effects, which can differ depending on the type or person. A prescription for any medication, Ro Mind included, will be described in the documentation that comes with your treatment if you’re interested in knowing more. In general, SSRI antidepressants, which function by boosting serotonin levels in the brain, can cause headaches, sleeplessness, nausea, sexual dysfunction, dizziness, and other side effects.
These cases are rare and shouldn’t be the reason not to try or to halt seeking mental health treatment. Furthermore, a professional and licensed health care provider, such as Ro Mind’s, will not allow these negative effects to manifest.
Keep in mind that therapy can have the potential of adverse effects, too. True, therapy does not entail actually consuming any pills, but the work required in the sessions can have emotional, psychological, and relationship consequences. For example, severe CBT cases have been linked to breakups, emotional disruption, troubles with loved ones, and other issues. Sometimes this can be a positive result in the long run, but definitely something to keep in mind as you decide the right path for you.
For a more in-depth evaluation of some other considerations for therapy, our review of different virtual therapy platforms would be a great place to start.
What is Ro Mind?
Source: Ro Mind
Ro Mind offers a variety of services, including virtual meetings with healthcare providers, prescription drugs, and virtual lessons. The prescription medication is the primary treatment on which it focuses its services, beginning with a free evaluation that establishes your treatment plan.
Ro Mind’s healthcare experts are all licensed to administer FDA-approved prescription medications for anxiety and depression, as well as work with patients to manage those medications and track their progress on an ongoing basis. Patients who are prescribed medication are also supported by Ro’s nationwide pharmacy network. Ro pharmacists work directly with clinicians to alter doses as needed and ensure patients receive the right medication when they need it.
Roman also treats some of the ailments that anxiety and depression are linked to, including erectile dysfunction (ED), obesity, and acne. These health issues, like anxiety and depression, can have a similar influence on a person’s quality of life, hence Roman’s effort to increase its product offerings and become more of a one-stop healthcare shop. If you’re interested in some of these other treatments, we review Roman’s Skincare, hair care and many more on our site.
What medications does Ro Mind offer?
Depending on the individual’s situation, one of Ro Mind’s healthcare providers may prescribe one of the following:
SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) medication such as:
- Fluoxetine (brand name Prozac) is an antidepressant available in both tablet and capsule form. It is frequently used to treat depression, as well as obsessive compulsive disorder and eating disorders. Fluoxetine aids in the recovery of many people suffering from depression, and it has fewer side effects than older antidepressants. Fluoxetine typically takes 4 to 6 weeks to take effect.
- Sertraline (brand name Zoloft) may improve your mood, sleep, appetite, and energy level, as well as help you regain interest in your daily activities. It can also reduce fear, anxiety, unpleasant thoughts, and the number of panic attacks.
- Escitalopram (brand name Cipralex) may improve your energy and well-being while decreasing anxiousness. It can take 1 to 2 weeks to notice any improvement, and up to 4 weeks to notice the complete benefit of this prescription.
SNRI (serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake Inhibitor) medication such as:
- Duloxetine (brand names Cymbalta and Yentreve), is an antidepressant medication that usually takes 2 to 4 weeks to show improvement. Common side effects include nausea, dry mouth, headache, constipation, and drowsiness. These side effects are usually minor and disappear after a few weeks.
- Venlafaxine (brand name Effexor XR) is an antidepressant medication that is used to treat depression, anxiety, panic attacks, and social anxiety disorder (social phobia). It may boost your attitude and energy level and help you regain interest in daily life. It may also reduce worry, fear, and undesirable thoughts, and decrease panic attacks. It can take weeks before you feel the effects.
Atypical antidepressant medication such as:
- Mirtazapine (brand name Remeron) is an antidepressant that works by rebalancing the brain’s natural chemicals (neurotransmitters). It can take up to four weeks for improvement in symptoms.
- Bupropion SR (brand name Wellbutrin) can boost your mood by restoring the balance of natural molecules in the brain (dopamine, norepinephrine). It could take four weeks or longer to reap the full benefits of this medication.
- Bupropion XL (brand name Wellbutrin and Zyban) is used to treat the seasonal affective disorder (SAD), a form of depression that comes at the same time every year (for example, during winter).
Anxiolytic medication such as:
- Buspirone (brand name Buspar) is used to treat anxiety disorders or relieve symptoms of anxiety in the short term. It may also help you feel less nervous and agitated, and can regulate symptoms such as difficulty sleeping, sweating, and increased pulse.
Ro Mind does not currently prescribe controlled substances like benzodiazepines.
What are Ro Mind virtual sessions?
Source: Ro Mind
Ro Mind has a unique feature that assists patients by providing free psychoeducation through Virtual Sessions. Virtual Sessions are pre-recorded, interactive seminars that use video and self-directed exercises to help patients learn more about their mental health and support their treatment plan.
Ro Mind’s Medical Advisory Board and other prominent mental health specialists create and present virtual sessions, updated regularly with new content that you can complete at your own leisure. There are many different topics, ranging from “how to deal with Mondays” to “creating healthy boundaries”.
Depressive individuals have poorer physical pathology control, less adherence to treatment, and less fulfillment of healthy living norms. Ro Mind’s psychoeducation is a well-documented psychosocial treatment that can be used in conjunction with pharmacological therapy. Psychoeducation has been found to be successful in reducing symptoms of depression, lowering the likelihood of relapse and recurrence, and improving treatment compliance in patients.
What is Ro Mind’s prescription process?
Source: Ro Mind
If you’re interested in signing up and giving Ro Mind a try, this is the process you would follow:
1. Start with an assessment
Ro Mind employs a simple online assessment developed by US-licensed physicians and psychiatric medicine experts, which can be completed whenever and wherever you choose.
The assessment is a clinical evaluation to determine the severity of your symptoms, involving questions that help clinicians determine your suitability for Ro Mind’s telemedicine treatment. This also provides clinicians with tools to make them aware of any potential risk factors or safety issues.
Unlike many telehealth mental health service providers, Ro Mind’s online assessment is free. Even if your provider later determines that you are not suitable for telemedicine treatment, it will still cost you nothing.
2. Video chat with a provider
In response to your assessment, a healthcare provider will contact you within 24 hours to inform if you’re the right fit for treatment. They’ll schedule a live 1:1 clinical interview video to discuss the next stages in your treatment journey, including treatment options and if medication is necessary.
Should a patient be considered unsuitable for treatment through Ro Mind, providers will endeavor to help them find an in-person physician as needed or provide assistance in the case of an emergency.
3. Receive prescription medication
As far as prescriptions go, healthcare practitioners can only treat patients and prescribe medications in the states that they are licensed in, so they will always match you accordingly on their end.
Should your clinician prescribe mental health medicine, you can receive it on a monthly basis in discreet packaging. They also provide free two-day shipping on all orders, as well as 365-day customer assistance, which is essential if you were to experience any side effects.
Another option is the ability to send your prescription to your local pharmacy. You are free to use any pharmacy, but Ro Mind can’t guarantee the pricing of medications processed outside of their pharmacy network. It’s also critical that your pharmacy accepts e-prescriptions and is a member of the Surescripts Network, which covers 95% of pharmacies across the US.
4. Connect with your provider
After you start your medication, providers will routinely assess your progress and help promote adherence through a series of mandated video and asynchronous check-ins. These will assist clinicians in optimizing treatment programs and adjusting medications as needed. As we previously mentioned, Virtual Sessions are also available for access 24/7, with mental health experts teaching and guiding you. You can use the service to skip around and watch whichever ones interest you or complement your mental health journey.
Which telehealth mental health service is best? Ro Mind vs Hims vs Cerebral vs Brightside
To get a better idea of where Ro Mind shines compared to other telehealth brands, we’ve compared some of the key features with other telehealth platforms that prescribe mental health medications for anxiety and depression.
Comparing telehealth mental health services: Ro Mind vs Cerebral vs Brightside vs Hims
|Cost||$65/month for healthcare provider visit, medication, check-ins and virtual lessons||$85/month for doctor visits, medication and behavioral health counseling||$95/month for doctor visits and medication||$85/month for medication and check-ins, support groups and content|
|Initial cost||$15 for first month||$30 for first month||$45 for first month||❌|
|Free initial assessment?||✅||✅||✅||✅|
|Ability to prescribe medication online?||✅||✅||✅||✅|
|Network of medical providers?||Licensed healthcare providers||Prescribers, counselors and therapists||Psychiatric providers and therapists||Network of medical doctors|
It’s obvious that Ro Mind provides a more affordable option for prescription delivery and psychiatric evaluations for anxiety and depression treatment compared to the other services. Coupled with the initial offer, it’s definitely worth checking out for the lower price point, maybe before making a more long-term decision.
Ro Mind, however, does not offer the therapy or counseling sessions that Cerebral, Brightside and Hims include in their available services. This comes down to what you are looking for – Ro Mind is an incredible option if you’re more interested in a medication-based approach to therapy and mental health improvement.
If you are interested in looking at the different approaches towards addressing mental health, then you might like to read our in-depth reviews of some alternative approaches provided by other direct-to-consumers (D2C) companies:
- Cerebral for anxiety and depression treatment: Cerebral provides counseling including behavioral activation, motivational interviewing, meditation, mindfulness, breathing exercises and grounding exercises.
- Brightside for anxiety and depression treatment: With Brightside‘s therapy, you will have access to unlimited messaging with a therapist for at least one guaranteed response every weekday.
- Hims for anxiety and depression treatment: Hims provides the option of anonymous online group therapy, as well as access to a 1:1 licensed therapist.
- Best virtual therapy apps: Another alternative is virtual 1:1 therapy, which matches you with a counselor based on your needs. BetterHelp, ReGain, and Talkspace all provide this, and give you the ability to contact your counselor via message, live chat, phone calls, and/or video conferencing.
Ro Mind mental health service reviews: What do current clients think of Ro Mind?
It may be too early for customer reviews for Ro Mind, as it was just announced in late July of 2021. However, given Roman’s reputation and expertise in additional men’s healthcare services (such as sexual health, hair loss, skincare, and a multitude of other areas), we are confident that they will deliver on their promise and provide quality service.
The verdict: Is Ro Mind legit for anxiety or depression treatment?
Your mental health is incredibly important to your daily life and your longevity, and Ro Mind offers a great possible treatment to provide that support. Not everyone is the same, though, so what works for one might not work for the next! Don’t be discouraged if the route you take doesn’t seem to be the right one at first. Mental health changes take time and effort to get right, and Ro Mind is a great first (or second, third, or fourth!!) step.
Overall, Ro Mind provides a credible method towards addressing and managing mental health. It’s offered to you by a well-known telehealth company and provides qualified mental health professionals including U.S.-licensed physicians, experts in psychiatric medicine, doctors, and nurse practitioners. The Medical Advisory Board is composed of board-certified psychiatrists and psychologists who can always supply FDA-approved prescription medication. Ro Mind’s services are a great choice if you are considering prescription treatments for anxiety and/or depression.
When compared to in-person prescription treatment, Ro Mind has several advantages – it’s more discreet, inexpensive, flexible, and accessible. Ro Mind is the economic choice by providing generic versions of proven, long-used medications for anxiety and depression.
Another advantage is the ability to receive treatment in the privacy and comfort of your own home, or even manage your plan while you’re traveling. However, it’s highly recommended that you visit a professional in-person for more extreme cases or if you have any thoughts of suicide or self-harm. Ro Mind does an excellent job reiterating this through their free online assessment quiz, through which they decide if you are a good fit for their mental telehealth services.
When it comes to mental health, time is of the essence. Ro Mind responds swiftly to assist individuals as soon as possible. Within 24 hours, a healthcare provider will contact you and arrange for medication to be shipped via two-day shipping. Ro Mind’s Virtual Sessions are available 24/7 for help when you need it, and you can always contact your provider via texting or their 365-day customer service.
You can get started with Ro Mind for as little as $15, so it might be worth it to address any mental health concerns you’ve been experiencing. Ro Mind will help you determine whether you’re fit for their services, and if not, can provide you with the assistance you require and provide professional opinions on your next steps.
If you’re ready to experience any of the benefits that Ro Mind provides, all you have to do is fill out your free online evaluation to get started.
Have you tried Roman’s Ro Mind mental telehealth services? Or any of the huge array of services that Roman provides? Let us know in the comments below